Series: Arc of Redemption
Arc of Redemption: Forgiveness Through Blood Payment
June 20, 2021 | John Durham
Passage: Leviticus 16:1-22
2 Two Truths to Consider in First Five Books…
1) OT laws represent God’s caring relationship with His people.
2) While not all OT laws are our laws, they do teach us so much about God relating to us through His covenant.
By the time you get to Leviticus there have already been four covenants
- Adamic Covenant: Covenant of creation. - Noahic Covenant: Covenant of preservation.
- Abrahamic Covenant: The covenant of promise. - Mosaic Covenant: The covenant of law.
WHY LEVITICUS? - Because we could not keep the law! - Because we cannot forget that God is holy.
How can we be one with God again? Sacrifice is necessary. LEVITICUS 16:1-22, 33-34
AN ANNUAL OT SACRIFICE ON THE DAY OF ATONEMENT.
1. A priest enters an earthly sanctuary 2. The blood of a spotless animal is needed 3. God sees Israel’s sins, places them on spotless animal 4. God was satisfied by the sacrifice of a substitute 5. A sacrifice that would need repeating 6. The effect…A temporary forgiveness.
HEBREWS 10:1-7 AN ABIDING NT SACRIFICE ON THE DAY OF CHRIST’S CROSS.
1. A priest enters heavenly sanctuary. 2. The blood of a sinless man 3. God sees our sins, places them on sinless man 4. God is satisfied by the sacrifice of His Son 5. This sacrifice will last forever. 6. The effect…The permanent removal of all our sin.
JESUS IS OUR WORTHY REDEEMER WHO IS TO BE PRAISED.
He is the High Priest who will continually represent us. He is the Lamb who will eternally reign over us.
In this Summer series, we will take a look at the story of redemption woven through the Bible from Genesis to Revelation. Join us as we see God's work from beginning to end.