Series: The Debt's Been Paid
The Debt's Been Paid: His Cross in My Place
March 21, 2021 | John Durham
Passage: Isaiah 52:13-15
Spurgeon called this chapter, "The Bible in miniature, and the Gospel in essence."
ISAIAH 52:13-15 Servant is Divine 13. Servant is Suffering 14. HE WILL BE SAVAGED, BUT HE WILL SAVE.
ISAIAH 53:1 ISAIAH 53:2-3 GOD REVEALS HIMSELF IN CHRIST, BUT WE REJECT HIM!
ISAIAH 52:4-6 CHRIST IS CARRIED TO DEATH SO WE CAN BE CARRIED TO LIFE!
1) He will take the penalty of sin. 2) He will take the place of sinners.
ISAIAH 53:7-9 THE INNOCENT WAS BURIED IN THE EARTH SO THE GUILTY COULD BE RAISED TO HEAVEN.
ISAIAH 53:10-12 CHRIST ON THE CROSS WAS NOT HUMAN STRATEGY, IT WAS GOD’S DIVINE PLAN.
God is serious about shattering sin and serious about saving sinners!
THIS IS THE POWER OF THE GOSPEL
- GOD ACCEPTS UNACCEPTABLE PEOPLE
- GOD LIFTS SHAMEFUL PEOPLE.
- GOD ADOPTS REBELS AS ROYALTY.
- GOD DECLARES THE GUILTY INNOCENT. Only God can charge us as guilty and only God can charge us as innocent.
There is a chasm between humanity and the Creator of the Universe. The chasm is caused by sin that has entered humanity and the cost of sin is eternal separation from sinless God. Find out how the debt has been paid for us as we close in on Resurrection Sunday.